Friday 14 August 2009

What is the role of the Åland Discrimation Ombudsman?


On Wednesday I found in my mail box a brochure about the Åland Discrimination Ombudsman. On the brochure it was indicated that the Ombudsman is a new public authority working for equality and against discrimination.

The brochure went further to mention that all people should have the same rights in a democratic society. Equality before the law and protection against discrimination are basic rights.

These are powerful words but you would be very surprised to realise that the Åland Discrimination Ombudsman has no power to interfere in any act of discrimination that occur within a private premise. I came to know about this when I was deliberately refused entry to Indigo Bar and Restaurant, possibly because of my skin colour. The security guard just said to me;

“You are not invited today; you can come back next Friday.” I found it very insulting and insisted that I am not move an inch. The police were called and I was surprisingly asked to stay away.

I wrote a letter to the manager of the restaurant requesting for an apology. I copied the same letter to the Ombudsman and she called me expressing her inability to intervene because of current regulations that govern her office.

According to her they are not mandated to interfere in such cases! I was completely surprised, because records indicated that discrimination mainly takes place in private premises. I would love to know what basically is the role of the Ombudsman on Åland?

No comments: