Sunday 16 August 2009

Living Library –Great Fun



On cultural night, 14th August, I was one of the living books at the Mariehamn Library. More than 10 people from minority groups on the Island were identified and the public was offered the opportunity to borrow them for at least 20mins for a chat.

I was borrowed three times;

- The first to borrow me was an older lady who was interested in visiting Africa and wanted me to suggest a country for her. She was more into wild life and nature and I recommended East Africa.

- The second was a German lady resident on the Island. She moved to Åland two years ago and has a 12 year old son. Our discussion was focused mainly on integration and we both agreed that not much is happening on the island to encourage the effective participation of immigrants in the society. “My son is finding it so difficult to make friends and I don’t know what to do. He is bored being in the house always without playing mates,” disclosed the German lady. I revealed to her that a couple of weeks ago, I was having a counselling session with a young immigrant girl who was also deeply frustrated with her inability to make friends in school. I explained to her that a new project that aims at bridging the gap between immigrants and local people have just been
launched and hopefully we might see some changes soon!

- My last discussion was with three teenage girls from Lemland. It was very interesting and they were very much amazed with some of the cultures in Africa. They felt it is unfair for men to marry up to four wives, when women are denied the same right. BUT they were impressed with the high respect children have for their parents, teachers and elders. I took the opportunity to inform them about an African festival I am planning and would need open minded volunteers. They gave me their contacts and promised to participate if their parents agree.

I enjoyed all the discussions I had and I wish to introduce the “living library” in my country when next I visit.

No comments: