Sunday 2 August 2009

Open Letter to the Speaker of the Åland Parliament on Integration


My name is Alieu Khan. I am one of the few African immigrants living on Åland. I moved to the island in April 2008 and since then I have seen myself as part of the community. I have taken part in lot of community initiatives and have been on the radio twice to talk about integration on Åland.

As you already know, the issue of immigration and integration is not well talked about on the island and there exist not many activities to help immigrants integrate easily within the society. In this open letter I would like to discuss with you, my opinion and findings on integration on Åland.

Svenska för Invandrare (SFI):- Language study program for immigrants exist in almost all countries with high concentration of immigrants. The Åland SFI is one that we all have to be proud of you. The teachers are excellent and the students are provided with all reading materials they need. But offering immigrants the opportunity to learn the Swedish language (the official language of the Island) should not be the end. Some of us have finished the different levels of the course but still unable to fit in the workforce. This was the same mistake committed by Sweden and they ended up creating the Yrkessvenska. The Yrkessvenska aims at coaching immigrants who are interested in using their professional talents. A recent report published by the University of Jyväskylä indicated that some immigrants stay longer on the language course because of their uncertainty to secure jobs when they leave the course.

Sweden is now trying to restructure their SFI program to take a more holistic approach to the integration of immigrants. One of their desperate measures is to use incentives to make immigrants value the language program. By January 2010 students who pass the highest level of SFI are eligible to receive 12,000kr.

The SFI program is becoming increasingly popular on Åland. In September 2008, Medis (The institute overseeing it) was unable to enrol all the prospectus students. Unlike the previous years, in the 2008/9 academic year they enrolled two different groups of Svenska 1. The main reason why most of us went to the course is to be able to secure jobs in our lines of work but unfortunately there seems to be little prospects for that.

I think offering traineeship opportunities for graduated students should be a component of the course. As I am writing you this letter, majority of my former classmates are staying home without jobs. Learning the language is important, but again if there is no opportunity to practise it, getting a grip of it becomes rather impossible.

Recently I was chatting with an immigrant from Lebanon, living in Mariehamn and he argued that there are jobs on Åland. He was referring to unskilled jobs. There is a heated debate all over the European Union that immigrants should be encouraged and offered opportunities to fit in the professional workforce. Countries like the UK and Canada has been highly praised for doing much towards this. Åland being a small place with a limited number of immigrants I think we can do a lot!

AMS: - AMS is doing a wonderful job but I think they should reinforce their efforts if they want immigrants in the job force. It’s not to the benefit of immigrants and the State for immigrants to stay without jobs. It is unquestionably clear that when immigrants become inactive in the labour market, their welfare dependency becomes high.

The Kommuns:- The different kummuns, should be encouraged to offer job opportunities to immigrants who are struggling to have a grip of the Swedish language and also to fit themselves in the island’s work force. Recently I applied for a job to work with children in the Eckerö and Finström Kummuns. When I met the lady responsible for applications in Eckerö, I can see the fear in her that I am not an effective Swedish speaker and besides, are the parents prepared to have an immigrant to take care of their children?

Support service: - From my findings there is no immigrant support society on the island. These I came to realise when my marriage was in crises and when I was struggling to gain access to my son. I also came across two immigrant women who badly needed this service but they couldn’t find it anywhere. Few months ago, I was introduced to a young girl in an immigrant family, who was having trouble both at home and school.

The Åland Multicultural Society could be empowered to feel this gap that exists on the island and function just like the Multicultural Women's Resource Center (MONIKA) in Helsinki.

I would like to share a story with you:-

An immigrant woman with a child who was living in Strändnas was having trouble with her neighbour (a young man in his early 20s). He was playing music late in the night, causing them sleepless nights. She told me and a British friend about it and we wanted to meet the young man and try to resolve the problem BUT she begged us not to;

“I don’t want to be in trouble. He can attack me and my son,” she said.

I have also met immigrants who have lived here for more than 5 years, without having a proper understanding of how to obtain the FPA card, how to apply for the Swedish course etc. My boss at my first workplace taxed my salary but he never forwarded it to the tax office.

It would be wonderful if the local government could set up an office, where immigrants can have access to relevant information and seek advice on different matters. I am sure that this office can be useful in helping immigrants to develop their own capacity and take control of their own lives and participate effectively in the society. This can also promote a decent and cordial relationship between immigrants and the local people.

Integration activities: - As far as I know the only state supported integration activities on Åland are the monthly multicultural café (organised by; Åland Peace Institute, Red Cross, Åland Multicultural Society and Café Bönan) and the Iranian New Year festival. I think lot of other activities can be introduced and this can help a lot in bridging the barrier between the immigrants and the local people.

I have established a self help initiative called Hej Åland and with my limited resources I was able to embark on the following;

1. Published a book about my own struggle on the island. It was launched by the Mayor of Mariehamn.
2. Out reach activities: - A. I have been to Lumparland with the Red Cross to talk about HIV/AIDS with the children
B. Together with Save the Children Åland, I was at Strändnas Skola to talk to the students about Africa and Africans on Åland.
C. I was also at the Yrkesskola for a presentation on “being an African on Åland.”
D. Together with Träffpunkt we organised a concert with a Gambian rapper called Mo Hawk. As published by Nya Åland Pub Bastun was full to capacity on that night.

I have many other programs in the pipeline and I would be more than grateful if the government can offer me their support.


Sincerely,


Alieu Khan
Founder-Hej Åland

No comments: