Friday 24 July 2009

Åland Sommar Jam off the hook!


I was amazed with the huge number of people that came to Pub Bastun on the 17th July 2009. It was the Åland Summer Jam 2009 organised by Hej Åland and Träffpunkt youths. It was a night that was different from many other nights on the island. The music was exclusively reggae and hip hop.

People started pouring in as early as 21:00 when the guest rapper, Gambia’s own Mo Hawk, was busy sound – checking the instruments before he takes the stage at mid night.

“I like hip hop and this is my chance to enjoy,” said a teenager when he saw me at the entrance.

A local DJ called Johan, started the night by hammering the crowd with some of the best reggae and hip hop tunes you can think of. When DJ Mario from the Energy Sound, Stockholm took over he was also able to keep the crowd going.

“I’m going to give them the best and make them sweat all night,” he said to me shortly before he took charge of the stage.

“Mo Hawk is one of Gambia’s hottest rapper. He is one of the vocalists of the popular Da Fugitivz rap group in Stockholm. Hands together for Mo Hawk!!!” I said introducing him to the crowd, who have never seen him or listened to his music before.

When he started doing his rap the crowd surprisingly went more loud and crazy. Mo Hawk offered an absolutely great performance.

Special thanks to the Träffpunkt, Heidi Öst and all those who supported me in making it happen! More to come…watch out for it!

Click on the link below to watch a bit of the show 

No comments: