Sunday 31 May 2009

A presentation at Yrkesskola


On the 28th May, 2009 i was invited at the Yrkesskola to do a presentation about Africa and some of the challenges Africans face as residents on the Åland Islands. The presentation, which was organised by one of the teachers, was attended by more than 30 students from both the technical and social sciences department.

I started my presentation, via powerpoint,by explaining why i left my home country for Europe and how i finally landed on Åland. I also spoke about African history and the Berlin Conference for the partition of Africa.

Speaking on the challenges African immigrants encounter on the island, i explained to the students that we feel very isolated and lonely. Some of them were little bit surprised and i went further to tell them that the migration of Africans to the island is a new phenomenon.I took the opportunity to inform them about a new anti-racism campaign that is about to kick-off.

Pic: Getting prepared for my presentation

No comments: