Saturday 23 May 2009

My book now in the hands of the Liberals


It was very disappointing that during my book launching no member of the Åland government attended and also a single member of the parliament attended but unfortunately she didn’t stay long.

Before the book launching I distributed invitation letters to almost all the politicians who matter in immigration matters and multiculralism. I also tried to get the Culture Department under the Local Government to deliver a solidarity message, but they never replied.

“Are the politicians ready for integration?” this is a question that keeps on lingering in my mind.

Recently I was invited by the Finnish TV/radio channel YLE to take part in a debate about integration in Swedish speaking Finland. I wasn’t sure what exactly I should have said at this debate, because there is not much happening on Åland. The only integration activities I know is the SFI course, which is international and the monthly cultural cafes, which attracts mainly the immigrant community.

Right now, we have a good number of immigrants unemployed and some of them are people with great expertise that can be very useful to the island. The Local Government should promote social inclusion and the responsible participation of the immigrants in the society. How do we get immigrants to work in public places like the libraries, supermarkets, banks….jobs that can bring them closer to the local people?

Good News!


The Liberals (Liberalerna på Åland) have just ordered 2 copies of my book. I was very surprised when they emailed asking if I have books left.

I am so happy that my book, which talks a lot about the challenges involved in being an immigrant on the island, is getting into the hands of the decision makers. The Liberals are undoubting enjoying a great popularity on Åland. They made great gains in the last elections in 2007. Their party leader is currently the head of the Local Government.

Pic: viveka eriksson, the head of the Liberals

No comments: